Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dragonfly Metamorphosis

I've been seeing these strange creatures on our little cabin. They look a bit like a cross between a cicada shell and a spider. All of them are hollow (as in not alive) and have an opening on their backs. Finally, finally, the mystery was revealed! They are the remains of dragonfly nymphs. Here are some photos of one "hatching" this morning. The process is truly amazing.




And here are two other dragonflies, in various stages of their transformations:

1 comment:

Mrs. Stanley said...

Amazing photos - revisiting your blog after a hiatus of many months. I met you at a reception and showing of your work at Camden Public Library some years back. We just left Maine on our way back home. I do hope to get to visit your pond someday now I've retired from teaching and have a bit more time to visit my beloved Maine and hometown of Gorham.
I am looking forward to reviewing all the posts I've missed. Your blog is so wonderful.
Carolyn